Key Things You Should Be Aware Of Prior To Contracting A Soil Stabilization Expert

\You want to build a new plant on a brand new location. Okay, so the first thing you need to do is have the land expertly surveyed. With the surveyor's report in hand, you might discover that there is a problem with the soil. The soil would not effectively support the weight of the massive structure you want to construct. What now? Now, you have to decide if your plant is going to go in this very spot, or if you are going to try soil stabilization instead. There are just a few key things you should be aware of prior to contacting a soil stabilization expert.

Soil Stabilization Injects the Ground with Concrete/Cement

​To stabilize soft soil prior to construction, the contractor injects concrete and/or cement into the ground in the projected construction site. Once this has been completed, there is no going back. The soil cannot be used to grow anything anymore except what can be grown on the surface level (e.g., grass). For that reason, if you buy this property and inject it with concrete/cement to stabilize it, it cannot be used for anything other than constructing a building on top of that site. 

Powerful Drills Have to Dig Through the Stabilized Soil If Bolts or Posts Are Needed

​Granted, you are building an industrial plant, but here and there you might want or need to insert a large bolt, pipe, or post into the ground. In the case of soil that has been stabilized with concrete/cement, a very powerful drill has to dig the hole through the stabilized soil so that you can insert or install the desired component. You could also insert/install these components prior to stabilizing the soil, but it does make things a lot more difficult decades down the road when these components may be leaking or need repairs. 

​There Are Additional Methods for Stabilizing Soil to Consider

​There are several structural methods for stabilizing soil that do not include injecting concrete or cement into the soil. They may be used in place of or in conjunction with the cement/concrete injections. It depends on what a structural engineer thinks is best for your intended project on the intended plot of land. Be sure to consider and discuss all forms of soil stabilization with both the structural engineer and the soil stabilization contractor prior to beginning your project. Then you can decide what is the next best step to take.

Contact a service, like T. Luckey Sons, Inc., for more help.